Colorado Democratic Party Chair States, "(Obama) qualified as a U.S. citizen (While Running for Senator and President) by virtue of his BC"

I've had on again/ off again correspondence with Patricia Waak, Chair of the Colorado Democratic Party. I hadn't received a suitable answer to my questions to her, so I renewed our correspondence today. Her reply certainly surprised me:

------------
Ms. Waak,

I have reviewed the documentation you referred me to, and don't see the answer to my questions. Could you please provide me with further guidance in this matter? Again, my questions are:

1) The Colorado Secretary of State is on the record stating that it is the legal responsibility of the state party to check the candidate's qualifications before certifying the name of the candidate to the state. Who in your organization was responsible for checking Mr. Obama's credentials (this might be somebody from the national party who informed your office of his eligibility?)?

2) When did the qualification process take place?

3) What evidence was provided by Mr. Obama that allowed a determination of eligibility to be made?

I am certain that this process occured, because in the 2008 Delegate Selection Plan it states:

1. Based on the right of the Democratic Party to freely assemble and to determine the
criteria for its candidates, it is determined that all candidates for the Democratic
nomination for President or Vice President shall:

a. be registered to vote, and shall have been registered to vote in the last
election for the office of President and Vice President; and

b. have demonstrated a commitment to the goals and objectives of the
Democratic Party as determined by the National Chair and will participate
in the Convention in good faith.

2. It is further determined that these requirements are in addition to the requirements
set forth by the United States Constitution and any law of the United States.

This means that before the nomination occured, somebody checked Mr. Obama's qualifications ("all candidates for the Democratic nomination for President or Vice President shall" meet the requirements the DNC specifies). I'm simply trying to ascertain WHO performed this check, WHEN it was done, and WHAT EVIDENCE was provided by the candidate.

Because of the legal nature of these questions, I understand your reticence to answer them. If there is a staff lawyer in your office, or somebody from the national party that would be better qualified (or authorized) to discuss these matters, I would be happy to speak with them instead.

I thank you for your time, and wish you the best during this busy holiday season.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Citizen,
Justin W. Riggs

------------
From: Pat Waak pwaak@coloradodems.org
Subject: Re: Renewed request for information...
To: juriggs@yahoo.com
Cc: "Sherry Jackson" sjackson@coloradodems.org
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 3:45 PM

Mr. Riggs,

Sen. Obama has run for office numerous times and qualified as a U.S. citizen by virtue of his birth certificate. He was certified as a candidate under Federal Election Commission law, both during his Senate run and his Presidential contest. If you would like more information on specifics, please contact the Democratic National Committee.

P. Waak

------------
Ms. Waak,

I understand that Mr. Obama has qualified as a citizen to run for various offices, but to become President, he must be a "natural-born" citizen, which is a different requirement altogether. If he qualified to run by virtue of his birth certificate, I would very much like to know where a copy of that document resides, so that I can view it along with the rest of the paperwork he filed.
I would definitely like more specifics, but don't know how to get anyone from the Democratic National Committee to respond to my messages (I've sent them pretty much the same messages I've sent you). Perhaps you could provide an introduction for me, so that both of our problems go away? :)

I'm sorry to bother you - I'm not seeking to make enemies. I am determined to get an answer to these questions, however - I feel it lies within my rights as a citizen of Colorado and the United States of America.

I thank you for the information you've provided so far, and hope to resolve this issue quickly so that we both might go about our normal business.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Citizen,
Justin W. Riggs