Maryland

I've been looking for a law like this for quite awhile. Maryland's Election Code states that a person can only become a candidate only if the individual fulfills the qualifications... I sent a letter to the office of Maryland's Secretary of State, seeing if someone could give me some clarification on the statute:

------------
Ms. Elson,

I'm not sure if I've got the right person for this request, but perhaps you could point me in the right direction if I've wandered off the path.

According to § 5-201 of the Code of Maryland,

"An individual may become a candidate for a public or party office only if the individual satisfies the qualifications for that office established by law and, in the case of a party office, by party constitution or bylaws.

My question is this: if a candidate can "only" become a candidate if he/she satisfies the qualifications for that office, then who makes sure that people who don't satisfy the requirements don't become candidates? In other words, who has the responsibility to determine whether an individual “satisfies the qualifications for that office”?

I appreciate any help you can provide on this matter. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

Your Fellow Citizen,

Justin W. Riggs