A Former Democratic Party Committee Chairman

I've had a hard time getting through to the national level of the Democratic so far, so today I decided to find a former chairman and pose my questions to him/her. The person I found was Terry McCauliffe. Here is the message I sent him:

-----------
Mr. McCauliffe,

I work for a small blog called www.yourfellowcitizen.com that is dedicated to answering the questions:

1) Who verifies that presidential candidates are eligible to hold the office they're running for?
2) When does the verification process take place? and
3) What evidence is provided by the candidate that allows a determination of eligibility to be made?

As a former Democratic National Committee Chairman, I was hoping you might be able to answer some of these questions for me and my audience.

In the 2008 Delegate Selection Plan it states:
1. Based on the right of the Democratic Party to freely assemble and to determine the
criteria for its candidates, it is determined that all candidates for the Democratic
nomination for President or Vice President shall:

a. be registered to vote, and shall have been registered to vote in the last
election for the office of President and Vice President; and

b. have demonstrated a commitment to the goals and objectives of the
Democratic Party as determined by the National Chair and will participate
in the Convention in good faith.

2. It is further determined that these requirements are in addition to the requirements
set forth by the United States Constitution and any law of the United States.

Obviously, if the party has requirements, I am sure they also have an enforcement mechanism in place to make sure those requirements are met. My reading of this particular clause leads me to believe that the candidate's qualifications must be verified sometime after he/she officially becomes a candidate (filing with the FEC?) and sometime before he/she is nominated. I say this because the above clause specifically says that "all candidates for the nomination shall" have met those requirements.

Any insights you might be able to offer into this process would be most appreciated. I thank you for your time, and for your consideration of my request.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Citizen,
Justin W. Riggs