Georgia's A Peach

I got this information from someone else who is researching the issue - I'm going to withhold the name for now, as I haven't received permission to use it.

The information is about Georgia law regarding the certification of Presidential candidates. Here is part of what I was sent (much of it isn't relevant to what I'm studying):


GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***
TITLE 21. ELECTIONS
CHAPTER 2. ELECTIONS AND PRIMARIES GENERALLY
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
O.C.G.A. § 21-2-5 (2008)

§ 21-2-5. Qualifications of candidates for federal and state office; determination of qualifications

(a) Every candidate for federal and state office who is certified by the state executive committee of a political party or who files a notice of candidacy shall meet the constitutional and statutory qualifications for holding the office being sought.

Obviously, this is strong language - stronger, I think, then any I've seen so far. The statute says that every candidate that is "certified by a political party", "shall meet the constitutional qualifications for holding the office being sought." In other words, it looks like somebody in the state of Georgia HAS to be legally responsible for making sure that their candidate met the constitutional requirements for holding the office of President.

Looks like I have another letter to write! I'll post it when it's written...