Representative Tancredo

Congressman Tancredo represents the Sixth District of Colorado. Here is the letter I sent he and his staff:

------------
Rep. Tancredo,

Approximately a month ago, I began one of the most interesting journeys I've ever taken. After becoming aware of concerns surrounding Barack Obama's qualifications to be President, and then learning that John McCain had faced similar concerns, I decided to find out for myself who is responsible for ensuring our Presidential candidates possess the qualifications necessary to hold office. I assumed it would be a short, easy journey - but it hasn't turned out that way.

After a month, I am no closer now than I was when I started to answering my questions: Who checks to make sure that our Presidential candidates are eligible to hold the office that they seek? When does the certification process take place? and What evidence is required of the candidate as prima facie proof that he/she meets the requirements set out in our Constitution?

I have focused my research efforts on the state level, but today, I received two responses that encouraged me to contact my federal representatives. The first came from NARA, in which they stated:

"As the law currently stands, Congress has not given NARA the authority to vet candidates' qualifications. You can contact your Congressional representatives regarding federal oversight of the qualification process...."

I was also told by Carol Fowler, Chair of the SC Democratic Party that:

"I can tell you that presidential qualifications are a federal, not state, issue."

My request is this: Could you or one of your staff help me obtain an answer to these pressing questions? Again, I am wondering:

1) Who is, by law, given the authority and responsibility to check our Presidential candidates' qualifications and certify that they are eligible to hold the office of President?

2) When does the certification process take place, and on what day(s) were this year's candidates certified?

3) What evidence must the candidate provide to establish their eligibility.(sic)

I thank you in advance for considering my request. I know that you and your staff must certainly be busy during this holiday season. I hope that the burden I propose to impose upon you is not too heavy, considering the gravity of the situation.

I eagerly await your response, and thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Citizen,
Justin W. Riggs