Arkansas Responds

Natasha Naragon, my contact point in Arkansas, kindly responded to my questions this afternoon. The format is slightly different than normal, but I would like to post the response as it came to me.

------------
From: Natasha Naragon natasha.naragon@sos.arkansas.gov
Subject: RE: Certification of Presidential candidate by Secretary of State Charlie Daniels
To: "Justin Riggs" juriggs@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 3:43 PM

Mr. Riggs,

The answers to your questions are below in red.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Natasha

----------------------------------------------
Natasha Naragon
Public Affairs Coordinator
Secretary of State Charlie Daniels
Arkansas State Capitol, Room 24
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
501-683-1441 (Phone)
501-683-3732 (Fax)
natasha.naragon@sos.arkansas.gov
www.sos.arkansas.gov

From: Justin Riggs [mailto:juriggs@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 2:25 PM
To: Natasha NaragonCc: arsos@sos.ar.gov
Subject: Certification of Presidential candidate by Secretary of State Charlie Daniels

Ms. Naragon,

According to a press release posted at http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/newsroom/index.php?do:newsDetail=1&news_id=29, Secretary of State Charlie Daniels certified the list of candidates for the office of U.S. President on February 5th, 2008. I have a few questions about this event that I was hoping you might be able to clear up for me.

1) In most states, the political parties are legally responsible for certifying that their candidates are eligible. According to this document, it seems that the Secretary of State is legally responsible to perform this function in Arkansas. Am I reading that correctly?
No. The political parties are responsible in Arkansas.

2) If Mr. Daniels certified the list of candidates, does that mean he reviewed the qualifications of each candidate individually? If so, what documentary proof was required from the candidates so that Mr. Daniels could certify them in good faith?
The candidates file a political practices pledge and party certificate with the secretary of state for certification.

3) In my research, I've also noticed that your state requires each candidate to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility. How would I go about requesting a copy of that document from your office?
The affidavit is filed with the party.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Your Fellow Citizen,

Justin W. Riggs

p.s. - please note that I have cc'd the Secretary of State on this message

------------ I responded:
Ms. Naragon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I now have two more questions, after which, I promise to leave you alone!

1) How do I request copies of the political practices pledge and party certificate that you referenced?

2) Are you aware of any law in your state that coerces the state party to release documents that have been filed with their organization? I have had some troubles with other states, and any help you could offer would be gratefully received.

Thank you again for your reply,

Justin