Arkansas is on the Radar Again...

I stumbled across this link today http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/newsroom/index.php?do:newsDetail=1&news_id=29. It caught my eye because Arkansas had already shown up in my research. This page was different, though, in that it talks about the Secretary of State himself certifying the candidates. Arkansas, it seems, might be rather important in helping me get answers to my questions.

There was a contact name provided at the end of the press release, so I wrote one letter and sent it to both Natasha Naragon and Secretary of State Charlie Daniels. Here it is:

Ms. Naragon,

According to a press release posted at http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/newsroom/index.php?do:newsDetail=1&news_id=29, Secretary of State Charlie Daniels certified the list of candidates for the office of U.S. President on February 5th, 2008. I have a few questions about this event that I was hoping you might be able to clear up for me.

1) In most states, the political parties are legally responsible for certifying that their candidates are eligible. According to this document, it seems that the Secretary of State is legally responsible to perform this function in Arkansas. Am I reading that correctly?

2) If Mr. Daniels certified the list of candidates, does that mean he reviewed the qualifications of each candidate individually? If so, what documentary proof was required from the candidates so that Mr. Daniels could certify them in good faith?

3) In my research, I've also noticed that your state requires each candidate to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility. How would I go about requesting a copy of that document from your office?

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Your Fellow Citizen,

Justin W. Riggs

p.s. - please note that I have cc'd the Secretary of State on this message.

Updates forthcoming, as always...