Now We Know the Who (Kind of): UPDATE

UPDATED TOPIC: 12-01-08

Before reading this post, please refer to http://www.yourfellowcitizen.com/2008/11/now-we-know-who-kind-of.html.

Chairwoman Fowler graciously spent a great deal of her time communicating with me by email today. The takeaway, if you don't want to read the messages themselves, is that she has agreed to fax me a copy of the document which enabled her office to certify Barack Obama as eligible for the office of President.

The whole conversation leaves me uneasy, however. According to Ms. Fowler, "The only documentation our state law requires is that the candidate (for any office) certify to the party that he or she meets the requirements of the office." If this is true, I think we have a real conflict of interest in place. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and it doesn't make sense (to me) to allow candidates to certify themselves. "I'll take your word for it" doesn't sit quite right with me. Of course, if that's how it works, then that's how it works. I'll take a look at the document, a look at the state law that Ms. Fowler references, and provide another update as soon as possible.

Following is the complete correspondence between Ms. Fowler and I on 12-01-08 (the original message I sent to Ms. Fowler can be found at the link above):

Justin W. Riggs --- On Mon, 12/1/08, Carol Fowler wrote:

From: Carol Fowler cfowler@SCDP.ORG
Subject: RE: Certification of Presidential Candidates Eligibility - *TIME SENSITIVE*
To: juriggs@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 8:15 AM

Where in SC are you?

From: Justin Riggs [mailto:juriggs@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 11:33 AM
To: Carol Fowler
Subject: RE: Certification of Presidential Candidates Eligibility - *TIME SENSITIVE*

Ms. Fowler,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my message. I sincerely appreciate it.

I'm not located in South Carolina. I am from Denver, CO. I've been researching the issue of how Presidential candidates get certified as eligible since I learned that both John McCain and Barack Obama had their qualifications questioned during this latest campaign. This is non-partisan, personal research that I'm conducting.

During my research, I've contacted electors, government officials, and party representatives (from both major political parties) from several states, and not had any problem in having documents released to me. In this case, do I need to find a proxy from South Carolina to make the request for me? I'd be happy to do so, if need be.

Again, I thank you for your prompt reply, and look forward to meeting whatever requirements need to be met in order to receive the documents I've requested.

Your Fellow Citizen,

Justin W. Riggs

------------
Justin --- On Mon, 12/1/08, Carol Fowler wrote:

From: Carol Fowler cfowler@SCDP.ORG
Subject: RE: Certification of Presidential Candidates Eligibility - *TIME SENSITIVE*
To: juriggs@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 9:33 AM

The only documentation our state law requires is that the candidate (for any office) certify to the party that he or she meets the requirements of the office.

------------
From: Justin Riggs [mailto:juriggs@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 12:33 PM
To: Carol Fowler
Subject: Spam:RE: Certification of Presidential Candidates Eligibility - *TIME SENSITIVE*

Interesting! Could I have you send me an electronic copy of the document where President-Elect Obama certified to you that he meets the requirements of the office? Thanks again - I appreciate you taking the time to help.

------------
--- On Mon, 12/1/08, Carol Fowler wrote:

From: Carol Fowler cfowler@SCDP.ORG
Subject: RE: Spam:RE: Certification of Presidential Candidates Eligibility - *TIME SENSITIVE*
To: juriggs@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 2:23 PM

I can fax it to you when I get a chance. What’s the number?

------------
Ms. Fowler,

I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I had to track down a fax machine that could accept a fax without me standing right next to it.

Here's the number you can fax the document(s) to: (303) 873-6101. Just put it to my attention. I understand that you must be very busy, but I request that you please try to fax it by the close of business on December 2nd. Please let me know if that doesn't fit with your schedule.

I don't want you to feel like I'm backing you into a corner, but I'm also interested in getting answers to the original questions I asked. In particular, I'd like to know who in your office has the legal responsibility for certifying the candidates. I simply haven't been able to answer this question up to this point, but certainly someone carries the responsibility.

One last thing (I hope). Could you provide me with a reference to the state law that you referred to earlier in our conversation? You said:

"The only documentation our state law requires is that the candidate (for any office) certify to the party that he or she meets the requirements of the office."
If you could provide me the statute number, it would save me a great deal of time.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Your Fellow Citizen,

Justin W. Riggs