State Law to Verify Candidates Eligibility?

I came across a blog post tonight that talked about working with our state representatives to pass a law that would require the Secretary of State to verify a Presidential candidates eligibility for office before placing them on the ballot. This is very much what I would like to do, should I find that there is not currently such a process in place. So I wrote "Phil" (I don't know the last name, just his screen name) a note. I'll let you know what I hear back...

---------------
Phil,

Your idea is right in line with my own thinking. I'm still trying to verify whether or not there is a process that establishes the eligibility of presidential candidates, but my feeling is that I'm going to find that no such process exists.

I, too, would like to begin working with my State Legislature on passing a law requiring the SoS to verify that a candidate is eligible before placing them on the ballot. Are you planning on organizing this type of effort? It would be helpful to have a group of like-minded people to go through this with - I'm sure there will be many challenges along the way.
Please contact me at juriggs@yahoo.com and let me know if there are or aren't plans for an organized approach to your suggestion.

Sincerely,

Justin W. Riggs
------------

the original post that I refer to in my letter can be found at http://www.therightsideoflife.com/?p=852

------------
November 23rd:

Heard back from Phil. Here was his message.

Justin, Please see My Thought: What Happens After the Obama Lawsuits for my take on what you're describing. I have similarly been keeping the Top Stories: PA Candidate Eligibility Bill Post available for a practical example of how to keep this situation from occurring again, going forward. I will similarly be sending you a copy of this comment to your comment via your email.

-Phil
Go to comment

I read the post, which talked about a State Rep. from Pennsylvania who is going to introduce legislation that will force the state to certify that the candidate is eligible before placing them on the ballot. This is exactly the type of legislation I would like to work on with one of my State Reps. It's good to know there are other people out there concerned about this apparent loophole in the political process.