Is Arkansas the Answer?

What is an Affidavit of Eligibility? Or, a better question for my purposes might be, who witnesses it? And does that witness have a legal duty to ensure that the candidate is eligible, or only that he declares that he is eligible? Hopefully, I'll find out the answer to these questions very soon.

On November 27, 2008 I sent a letter to Mary Lou Slinkard, a County Clerk in the State of Arkansas. Here is the letter I sent:

(my personal information)

November 26, 2008

COUNTY CLERK
Mary Lou Slinkard
State of Arkansas
215 E Central Ave
Bentonville, AR 72712
(479) 271-1013
http://us.mc448.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mslinkard@co.benton.ar.us


RECORDS REQUEST

Dear Records Request Officer:

According to a document retrieved from http://www.co.benton.ar.us/BCClerk/FILING%20PROCEDURES%202008%20SBEC.pdf on November 26, 2008, all Political Party Candidates running for Federal office must file an Affidavit of Eligibility with your office.

Pursuant to the state open records act, I request access to and copies of an Affidavit of Eligibility form for all presidential and vice presidential candidates on the November 4, 2008 General Election ballot.

Because this request is for public, non-commercial use, I request that any fee be waived. If a fee is required, please notify me in writing (email will be fine) what the fee will be, at which time I will choose to renew or abandon my request.

If my request is denied in whole or part, I ask that you justify all deletions by reference to specific exemptions of the act.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,


Justin W. Riggs

I'll update this post as soon as I hear back.