Blake Hall, RNC General Counsel

Since I'm interested in how all presidential candidates get certified as eligible, I contacted the RNC's General Counsel. The letter I sent him is substantively the same as the one I sent to the DNC.

------------
Justin W. Riggs
(my personal info)

January 5, 2009

OFFICE OF THE GENERAL COUNSEL
Blake Hall
Republican National Committee
310 First Street
Washington, D.C. 20003
Phone: 202-863-8500
info@gop.org


RECORDS REQUEST

Dear Records Request Officer:

Pursuant to the state open records act, I request access to and copies of any and all documents used to determine the eligibility of John McCain to serve as President of the United States under the provisions of the Constitution of the United States of America in the 2008 primaries and general election. While the RNC is a private, non-profit organization, several courts have held that such organizations fall under the jurisdiction of their respective state open records acts, particularly when they are performing a government function or are functionally a government agency (see Gannon and Nichols v. The Board of Regents of the State of Iowa and Kimberly Kay Allen v. John Day for examples of these types of rulings). I therefore request that this request be granted in all due haste.

Because this request is for public, non-commercial use, I request that any fee be waived. If a fee is required, please contact me at this email address (juriggs@yahoo.com) with the amount, at which time I will decide to pursue or cancel my request.

If my request is denied in whole or part, I ask that you justify all deletions by reference to specific exemptions of the act. I would also remind you that the act stipulates that you respond to this request in a timely fashion. I request that the document be mailed either electronically (a readable scan of the documents is sufficient) or through the postal service, no later than noon, January 22nd. If this is not possible, please contact me at this email address (juriggs@yahoo.com) with a time and a date by which I can expect to receive the documents.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Citizen,
Justin W. Riggs